Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Napa

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Napa

The view from the patio of the Ferrer Vineyard.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
We left San Francisco this morning and headed north to Napa Valley and California wine country. After a visit to a winery, which included a lengthy tour that we eventually bailed on, we rolled into our new accommodations.

We're staying in a bungalow-like cottage that sits on a golf course. We're so close that if someone hooked a tee shot a little too much, it would come crashing through the windows. It's one of many similar structures that are all satellites to the one giant "mansion" that lies at the end of a long tree-lined driveway. I feel pretty strange being here, to be honest. The mansion is pretty ritzy, with expensive cars parked all around it and perfectly groomed lawns leading to endless stretches of tennis courts. I really wouldn't be surprised if the theme music from Beverly Hills, 90210 just started playing out of thin air and the whole gang showed up out of nowhere.

In another brilliant chapter in my unending saga of nerddom, I realized within an hour of being here that they had wireless internet and immediately slapped down the $10 for a day's worth of service.

I haven't seen any of the Olympics, but for some reason I don't seem to care that much about it. I guess I'm just more of a Winter Games kind of guy.

In other news, my brother Clay has pretty much lost it.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Granted, this much time alone with family in such close quarters can drive any person crazy, but just look at his eyes and you can tell that something in him has snapped. He threatened to kill each of us at least five or six times during a single game of hearts tonight. He also chased my sister around the bungalow in an hour-long chase that involved each of them being locked into bedrooms multiple times.

Tomorrow we're visiting more vineyards and then going to Safari West. I don't really know what to expect. We're "camping" (in quotes because my mom mentioned something about our tents having hard wood floors) and will apparently be sleeping among an assortment of transplanted animals from all corners of the globe. Strange. I'll hopefully have pictures, unless my brother, inspired by the various wildlife around us, decides to kill us all in our sleep in some strange Lord of the Flies scene.