Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Scream Team

Monday, August 16, 2004

Scream Team

I really haven't seen a lick of Olympic coverage yet, but this morning I read that the US men's team lost to Puerto Rico yesterday. Puerto Rico! I love it! Now I'm sure that the PR team had some good players and I know that I'm going to stereotype horribly, but in my high school, which was made up of a little under 50% Puerto Rican students, I never met one that was over six feet tall.

It's just spectacular. Allan Iverson's face on the cover of our newspaper is classic. I'm unbelievably amused by all of this. Now don't get me wrong, I am rooting for the US in almost every sport, but I love a good Goliath slaying no matter who it is.

Larry Brown told the media, "They played as a team...they played so much harder and so much better than we did that the result isn't a surprise at all." That pretty much summarizes everything I hate about the NBA, and by deduction, the US men's basketball team. They play no defense, they rely on one or two star players with little or no support from their bench, and they only play hard for the last ten minutes of each game.

My problem with players coming straight out of high school to the NBA has little to do with missing a college education, because for the most part a college education for a varsity Division 1A athlete is bullshit. It has to do with the fact that they go from high school, where very few teams play as a unit, to the NBA, where very few teams play as a unit. They completely skip the best, most exciting, most passionate basketball in the world--NCAA basketball.

Anyway, I just can't wait until the US team plays its next game. I hope they lose to a team of eleven-year-old pygmies from Cameroon. Now it's time for Clay and I to go to a spa for a massage. Hah!