Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Flip Flops

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Flip Flops

Now, I would be one of the first to say that the theatrically staged political conventions this year are pretty hard to believe. I know a lot has changed in the last four years, including my own mental maturity, but I didn't recall the 2000 conventions being so tacky. I do remember the hats, however. I'll always remember the hats. I don't know what it is about political fanaticism that makes people love horrible hats.

Watching the RNC on C-Span tonight I got shivers up my spine as the chants of "flip flop!" resounded through Madison Square Garden, accompanied by many pairs of the rubber sandal of the same name waving back and forth. That's Fox News for you.

Not to say that the DNC didn't have shades of mass-homogenization and group-think, but what I watched tonight really left a sour taste in my mouth. It was like a religious revival. My feelings could also have something to do with recently Netflixing Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's Secret War On Journalism. The film has plenty of paranoia flying around along with its inexpensive graphics, but a lot of what it says hits home. I feel a bit disgusted right now.

The conservative media talks a lot about "liberal bias" in mainstream media. I will not disagree that most reputable news organizations lean slightly left. They do, however, actually report, offer multiple viewpoints, and stay within the margins of acceptable discussion.

How come there can't be a conservative media that does honest reporting with a mirrored nudge to the right? Do they really have to make a mockery of truth? Same goes for you too, Air America Radio.

I'm pissed. But I am in my new, exquisite, grown-up apartment, so I'll live.