Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Late Night

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Late Night

I'm up too late right now. I was doing work, and now I can't quite get to sleep. Damnit.

I had to re-register to vote for my new address, and the form that I filled out was completely ridiculous. At the very top of it it had two questions, each with a check box for 'yes' and 'no' answers. The two questions were:

"Are you a citizen of the United States of America? Yes/No"
"Will you be 18 years of age or older by election day? Yes/No"

The form then dutifully informed me that if I have checked no for any questions so far, I should cease filling out the page. Do we really need check boxes for this? If you have checked the boxes that say you aren't allowed to vote, you can't vote, so don't check any more boxes please. I almost felt that if I had checked 'no' the form would have instantly self-destructed, lest I attempt to fill out any more check boxes farther down the page.

I bought a messenger bag today. I feel like I've kind of sold out. Of what, I do not know. I do feel, however, that the purchasing of the bag coincided all too conveniently with the fact that I now live in Boston proper, and that I will be doing some work for Nish's company in the next few weeks--dipping my toes in the corporate world, if you will.

The bag started out as a simple replacement for my six-year-old backpack that is worn and torn, but I believe there was something far more dubious afoot when I strode in the Government Center Staples today on a mission to buy DVD cases only to exit with a far too stylish attache in addition to said cases.

Anyway, I will feel so falsely hip with this bag that I may have to counteract it by wearing something completely out of style. Perhaps some fluorescent Jams shorts, or a vest with a bolo tie.