Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Touching The Void

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Touching The Void

My last post was way back on Thursday and it is now Sunday night. I was otherwise indisposed for the period in between, mainly because Jocelyn was up for a long weekend. It seems that the school year is front-loaded with tons of Fridays and Mondays off, so one must take advantage of these Jewish holidays and such.

Over the weekend I got around to watching a film called Touching The Void, a docu-drama about two British climbers and their reactions and recounts of an accident that occurred while they were climbing a mountain in Peru.

The structure went back and forth between the real men telling their respective stories to the camera and experienced climbers--with acting ability, no less--re-enacting the fateful trip. Without giving too much away, I'll simply say that while I knew the basic outcome of the entire scenario, I was on the edge of my seat as the narrators lead me through the ordeal and the breathtaking pictures drove the their words home.

In the recent months, as mounting human fatalities due to war, famine, disease and genocide have been neatly categorized into statistics by the media, the UN, the Pentagon and others, this film takes a slow, meditative look at the choices we as people make regarding life and death. The whole thing was very well done and I recommend it to all.