Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: ALCS 2.3

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

ALCS 2.3

GOD DAMNIT.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The skies over Boston glow blood red in anger over this ALCS.

I just don't understand it. Why does this happen to us? Pedro goes out and gives as good an effort as can be expected of him in Yankee Stadium and the best offense in the league can't score runs against a decidedly mediocre talent in Lieber. WHY!?!?

People who don't follow sports and don't follow teams that consistently blow it big time often don't understand this reaction. Why should I care so much about a baseball game? Why should I watch it and pay no attention to the final debate tonight? Why should I get extremely upset when my team does this poorly in a series and will have to pull off a literal miracle to advance to the World Series?

Because, in my estimation, I have spent about 350 hours watching this Red Sox team over the course of the season. I have probably spent another 50 hours reading about them. 400 hours of my life was devoted to this team because I love them and because I believed in them and because I thought they had a good chance at making history this year. And now it all looks like it will go down the toilet. Gone, just like that.

There's no way to explain it. Our ace pitcher who has been playing on a bad ankle all year suddenly pulls up limp in the first game against New York, leading to a loss. He was our trump card. He was the reason we were a better team this year. Now he probably won't pitch again until next year (after surgery no less, which itself is always a scary prospect for an older pitcher).

I understand that most of the country doesn't care about the history between these two teams. I understand that most people don't care who wins. But, God, it kills me when I see Yankee hats all over the country, like some sort of front-running disease. In my heart I feel like the country wants New York to win, and keep doing it forever. That's the American way, right? Always win.

All I want is to be able to experience what it would be like to have my team, a team I have followed for as long as I can remember, a team that is long overdue, win a fucking World Series. It's bad enough that dream is looking rather impossible this year. It's much worse that it's that way because of the Yankees.

I think I would have rather not even gotten to this point than to lose to NY again on such a grand stage, where the entire country will be pulling for the juggernaut and the moronic commentators will use it to fuel the hours and hours of footage they love to show in which the Red Sox blow up when it most counts.

I am so angry right now, it's ridiculous.

Labels: