Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: ALCS 4-5

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

ALCS 4-5


Those bastards. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

After the horrible, truly awful game I went to on Saturday where the Sox lost by 938 Billion to 8, I had given up. I didn't watch most of Game 4 because I just knew they would crumble. Once the Yankees got the lead I turned the tv and radio off. It was just sort of a fluke that I managed to check the score before going to bed, and saw that it was the 10th inning and the game was tied.

I sat there and watched it on tv in the dark living room. I put the game on mute because I was sitting there, ready to watch my team play its final game of the season, and I was in no mood for Tim McCarver's partisan announcing when the Yankees would inevitably sweep the series.

Somehow, that didn't happen. David Ortiz hit a walk-off home run into right field and the Sox stormed out of the dugout to celebrate.

And even though I told myself I wasn't going to do it, I watched today's game from start to finish. It was well worth it.

Both teams had so many chances to put it away, and neither seemed to be able to do it. The Sox kept scrapping away, playing 13 of the 14 innings with Yankees on base. The bullpen was nearly flawless, and Timmy Wakefield put in a tremendous effort to pitch the final two innings, holding back those terrifying New York hitters until Ortiz could win it for the Sox again.

So the long and short of is: I'm back. Those bastards brought me back. In truth I was back even before Game 5 began, but now I'm sitting up late at night glowing about the victory, writing about it here, and thinking about things like momentum, bullpens, and starting pitchers for the next game (or even two).

Of course, this is all contingent on the fact that I'm fully aware that the Sox are just going to make it harder on me when they inevitably blow it either tomorrow or Wednesday down in New York. I hate them playing there, it's just too scary. Those big Yankee home runs always seem to happen like magic, and I know they will in the next two games.

But I'm still back.

Labels: