Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: ALCS

Monday, October 11, 2004

ALCS

Why?

Yanks vs. Sox again. I feel like it was a few months ago when I stormed out of the house and onto the street after Game 7, leaving my poor sister to sob alone in my room.

Are we ready for this? I don't mean the teams. I mean the fans. Shouldn't there be some rule about needing a breather year in between these type of things? This might be too much. The rivalry has been so hot on the field for the last three years, but it's been even more heated in the stands. As my friend Dave (Yankee fan) noted, after this is all over "the streets of New England will be flowing with someone's blood."

Now don't get me wrong. I'm excited. I feel good about the Sox's chances. They're a different team this year and so are the Yankees. But I can't help but think about last year's series. Parts of it are so vivid in my mind, and others are clouded by psychological barriers erected after Boone hit his inevitable home run in the 11th inning.

I remember the power of our bathroom last year. First Nish found that if he left the room and went to go to the bathroom with the radio on in there, the Sox would do something great. The key was, you had to be DOING something in the bathroom at the time. You couldn't just sit on the toilet and pretend. Whoever controls this stuff knew exactly what was going on. Therefore we had to take turns during key spots in the games. I can't forget sitting on the toilet when I thought the Sox were going to bite it in Game 6 and Manny and Ortiz tied the game that they went on to win.

I remember walking around in a kind of daze before Game 7. All day I was doing work, but I couldn't concentrate on anything. I was so excited and so nervous.

That's all back now.

In typical playoff baseball fashion, I have been run by superstitions during the Sox games this October. I wear the same T-shirt. My Sox hat rests in same spot each game. I sit in the same exact spot on the couch.

I don't know if I can continue this, though. I tried to take my superstitions from the Oakland ALDS series last year into the Yankees series with no success. Perhaps I need to create a new set altogether.

These are things I think about on the eve of this series. Am I ready for it? You bet. Am I scared? Absolutely. Is it ridiculous to talk this way about baseball? Perhaps...but no.

No.


P.S. Tim McCarver is a bastard, partisan Yankee broadcaster in national broadcaster cloth. I would love to hear New Yorkers scream and howl if we had Jerry Remy do the color call on Fox. What a crappy network, with their exploding radar gun numbers and fucking Dodge Ram bass line segues.

P.P.S. Today in a press conference, Curt Schilling stated, "I'm not sure I can think of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up."

Hot.

Labels: