Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: The Day After II

Thursday, October 28, 2004

The Day After II

I can't tell whether it was the unbelievable hangover, the fuzzy memories, or the fact that the impossible happened, but this morning I didn't really know where I was or what had happened when I woke up in my bed.

My left knee is completely messed up from the header I took while running out the door of our apartment building last night. It hurts a lot. My ankles are really sore and tight, and I have absolutely NO idea why. My head is still very groggy, but I'm beginning to wrap it around the concept that they won.

We won.

Maybe it was the unending stream of Bud Lite pitchers that came to our table at the bar last night, or maybe it was simply a reaction to what was going on--a mild black-out if you will--but memories of last night are only coming back in fragments.

I remember sitting at the table before the game, thinking about how strangely confident I felt. I just knew they were going to pull it off, but at the same time, that sense of knowing it was so foreign to me that it made me very uneasy.

I remember Trot's hit off the wall, and freaking out about how much balls it took to green-light him on a 3-0 count with the bases loaded.

I remember realizing that they were going to win. It was beyond my confidence earlier. It was absolute. I knew it. It was in the bottom of the 7th and the entire bar was on its feet cheering while I sat dazed in my chair.

I remember how fast the last three outs of the game went. They flew by! Before I could even come to grips with the fact that this was it, it was over. And within seconds I was screaming, hugging, jumping up and down, and eventually sobbing. I ended up in a seat in the corner for a solid twenty minutes just crying my eyes out.

And I do remember, vividly, my spectacular spill out of my apartment doorway that sent me sprawling onto the sidewalk in front of many many people. Nice.

I called so many people last night, but I don't remember all of them or whether I got through to everyone. But I just want to say that I love all of you. They did it. We did it. This, as ridiculous as it sounds, is a life-changing experience. I'm just so glad that people who have been rooting since 1967 and before were able to see this in their lifetimes. I'm so proud that I was able to see it, and will be able to tell my children about it (or at least what I remember of it).

There's a parade tomorrow.