Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Haymarket

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Haymarket

Nish and I stopped by the open market today to pick up some produce for the week. As I was waiting for them to bag my two pounds of broccoli crowns for a buck, an middle-aged woman who spoke little to no english was thumbing through a pile of peas.

She snapped one to look at the inside and the guy at the counter yells, "Hey, you can't do that. You snap one, you buy the whole thing."

The woman looked back at him, pretty much scared out of her mind.

He continued, "You break it, you buy it. I don't go into your house and break stuff."

She managed to reply, "I...I don't have a house..."

The guy stood staring at her for a while, and then mumbled, "or whateveah else you got to live in. I don't break stuff..."

Uncomfortable...