Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Political Compass

Friday, November 19, 2004

Political Compass

Well, my brother can take some heart in this fact: I'm not THAT far left of center when it comes to my political views.

I'm a little less than halfway left from center and almost exactly halfway between libertarian and center. My famous company there? The Dalai Lama. I'm about as far left as Ralph Nader, but more libertarian than he is. I'm also close to Nelson Mandela, but not as far left and again more libertarian.

Not bad names to be associated with, I think. Then again, those people are usually jailed/expelled from their country/not taken seriously by the public, etc. So maybe I don't have much of a public future.

How do I know all this, do you ask? Well, I took a test devised by a political journalist and a professor of social history that seeks to expand the generalized labels of "right" and "left" in the political arena. It's a neat idea and only takes about five minutes as you answer a few statements in the "strongly disagree, disagree, agree, strongly agree" manner.

Take the test yourself!