Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Train Ride

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Train Ride

I'm on the Northeast Regional from Boston to New Haven right now, and it makes me want to travel everywhere by train. I haven't ridden on Amtrak in a few years, and I don't understand why. Honestly, it's the most relaxing way to get anywhere. Right now I'm in a car of 80 seats--9 of which are occupied There's no cramming into small airline seats or breathing recirculated air, and I don't have to drive anywhere or even pay attention to what is going on outside.

Sure, it takes slightly longer than a car might and a fair amount longer than a plane ride, but I think the pros outweigh the cons by a hefty margin. Not to mention the fact that Amtrak has started offering "Weekly Specials" where they discount certain routes up to 80%. I could ride from Penn Station to Chicago for $38. Sweet.

By the way, I would like to mention the fact that I am in no way being paid or compensated for my gushing praise of rail travel. On the contrary, I had to pay for my ticket and my bottle of water aboard the train. In fact, that's the one real downfall of rail travel: It's expensive. It costs me $41 to get from Boston to New Haven, and that's on an off-day with a AAA discount. Normally it would be almost $60.

But it doesn't stop these grand thoughts of taking advantage of the heavily discounted trips and just going somewhere for the hell of it. After all, if you can't pick up and go somewhere when you're self-employed, what's the point?

And so, this entire post has been a roundabout way of explaining these strange urges to take a 16 hour train trip to Savannah, Georgia for $40 someday, just because I can.

Labels: