Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Voting in the North End of Boston

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Voting in the North End of Boston

Voting anywhere is momentous. Whether it's in a bustling city's public schools, in rural farm country, in a war-torn country trying desperately for democracy, or in America's cradle of liberty.

It's quite a thing to walk to your local polling place and see the Bunker Hill monument, the USS Constitution, and the Freedom Trail. It's quite a thing to walk through the courtyard of the Old North Church and Paul Revere's statue on the way to cast your vote in the most important election in recent history.

I was sent an email from someone I didn't know last night. I have no idea how I got on their mass emailing list, but the message was plain and simple. It showed a large picture of people jumping to their deaths from the top of the World Trade Center Towers, and it read "These people can't cast votes tomorrow. Fill your ballot in for them."

I know which way the email was hoping I'd vote, but I believe that my vote for Kerry (despite my long and agonizing deliberation, found HERE) truly was a vote for them. It was a vote for prudence; a vote for balance; a vote for reason.

I believe I did vote for the people in that picture. But I also believe I voted for those that went before them, and those that will go after me. Walking through the streets where this democratic experiment's fuse was first lit, I only hoped that regardless of the outcome, this election will adhere to the ethical and moral standards of those whose sacrifices made this day possible in the first place.

Labels: