Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Bush Billboards in Florida

Friday, December 03, 2004

Bush Billboards in Florida

Now I know that I've seemed a bit ranty of late, what with the whole Stalin thing. I don't like to do that. I hope to (and try to) talk about issues instead of candidates, because the issues are really the important thing. Whether someone things so and so is an idiot or a courageous leader, well that seems far less important that the issues that possible moron or luminary will push while in office.

So anyway, after that, I bring you this. One of many billboards sprouting up in Florida lately.

Some people are drawing conclusions, considering that the billboards are owned by media giant Clear Channel. I don't really care all that much about that. Yes, Clear Channel owns more radio stations than God (though I don't know if God is that into radio) and some have criticized them of violating anti-trust laws.

More importantly, however, when did we become a country that puts huge pictures of our leaders up on public display? I always kind of thought it wasn't a GOOD thing when your country has its leader's picture plastered all around the place. I mean, let's go down a list off the top of my head:

Nazi Germany
Mussolini's Italy
Stalin's USSR
Mao Zedong's China
Middle-Eastern theocracies
Your average, runofthemill African military dictatorship

Isn't this just an American corporate version of fresco paintings of Fidel Castro? Yes I realize I'm taking it a bit far. But still, it's unsettling.

I mean, what's next? Now that the assault rifle ban is expired, should we as Americans begin expressing our anger or joy by firing AK-47s into the air like crazy?

Labels: