Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Celebrex and Heart Attacks

Friday, December 17, 2004

Celebrex and Heart Attacks

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Reuters:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Pfizer Inc. on Friday said its popular Celebrex arthritis drug more than doubled the risk of heart attack in a large cancer-prevention trial, a setback that comes just weeks after Merck & Co. recalled its similar Vioxx drug due to heart safety risks.

So wait, is there an arthritis drug out today that doesn't cause heart attacks? Is that an inherent trait in all prescription medication that fights arthritis? Conversely, if I were to take heart medication, would my arthritis get worse? Well, if I had arthritis, that is.

Perhaps there is some sort of axis upon which our health tilts, each illness somehow inextricably tied to another otherwise unrelated affliction. Arthritis to heart, backache to feet, halitosis to...leprosy?

If I rinse with Listerine, will my skin and digits begin to fall off? Gross. Now I'm worried what effect my daily Flonase® is surreptitiously having on my dandruff (not that I have any dandruff--get out of my face Selson Blue®!).

I guess it's not so terrible that I don't have health insurance right now after all. At least it keeps me from taking prescription medicine that's bound to fuck me up some other way that I can only guess.