Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Hallogen Power!

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Hallogen Power!

In the middle of my weekly trip to the local hardware store (I'm obsessed by it, and it doesn't even go by the term 'hardware store' but instead calls itself an 'urban home center'), I froze.

There on the top shelf of one of the aisles were two 750 Watt Hallogen work lights, on sale for almost NOTHING. I nearly lost it.

Let me pause for a moment to explain some things to those of you who don't know me. First off, I like to buy random things. A lot. We're not talking overboard/weird stuff like jewelry or expensive clothes. I really have a problem buying random, low-priced electronics and other items of that ilk. (Example: Last week I bought a tiny universal television remote off of eBay that spits out every remote code and can control about 75% of TVs--just because it was cool).

Secondly, I've been looking for a cheap way to light video setups for work rather than spending $2000+ on a cheap film lighting kit. These Hallogen work lights, if bounced properly and used with the proper amount of tin foil and clothespins, work pretty damn well. And I bought them for only $12 a piece.

So today I opened the packages to survey the contents, and--long story short--ended up walking around my small apartment blasting rooms with 1500 Watts of double-fisted fury. No one was home, of course. Then I walked over to our huge bay window, and bathed the entire street outside with light to see the true extent of my power. It was pretty cool in a very nerdy, very weird way.

So that was my day.