Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Oscar Nominations Out

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Oscar Nominations Out

Full List Here

The Aviator lead the pack with 11 nominations, including Best Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress, Editing and Directing. It looks set to pull a classic rampage through the awards show like many films in the past that have been nominated, winning the majority of the categories it was nominated in.

Most everyone is nominated that was expected, with perhaps the notable absence of Paul Giamatti who really did some great work in Sideways.

Also somewhat of a surprise, Finding Neverland nabbed Best Picture and Best Actor noms.

Unless The Aviator goes on a roll, I would actually pick The Passion of the Christ to win best Cinematography, despite the fact that Mel Gibson should probably be executed on stage for his shameless overcranking to produce endless slow motion sequences.

Barring some sort of Hollywood junta, The Incredibles will win Animated Feature as well as Sound Editing, but will lose original screenplay to The Aviator.

My biggest surprise? I don't HATE the film that will likely clean house. I don't know if I thought The Aviator was the best film I saw all year, but it was very good, and for the first time in a while I will not be horrible disappointed with The Academy when one film dominates the awards show.

I can still taste the bitter bile of revulsion that crept into my mouth when Lord of the Rings and Gladiator laid waste to the competition by taking advantage of studio influence and shameless bandwagon voting to win it all despite being, well... bad.