Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: Best Director Oscar

Friday, February 18, 2005

Best Director Oscar

I'm having a very tough time finishing my picks for the family's annual Academy Awards 'pick 'em' contest. This is some serious, no joke business here, people.

Aside from the Best Actress category (which I think is basically a three-way crap shoot between Swank, Benning, and to a lesser extent Staunton), the hardest category to pick is Best Director.

If we're discussing this in the real world, the only two choices are Clint Eastwood and Marty Scorsese. Million Dollar Baby is by far the better film as far as I'm concerned, but I think this award -- more than any other this year -- is the most politically charged.

Scorsese is long overdue for his past (and much better) films, but Clint is one of Hollywood's golden boys and is really showing his age now. Clint may not have many films left in him, while Marty must have a few, not to mention a lock on a "lifetime achievement" Oscar.

Clint has already won this award for Unforgiven so that counts against him, but enough so to keep him from winning with the better film this year? Scorsese's The Aviator is a beautifully shot film, but clearly lacks the heart that Baby has in such abundance. You could also make the case that Marty played a larger role in making a mediocre script a pretty good film, while Clint simply stayed out of the way of a gorgeously told story.

I'm really stuck on this one, so I'm turning it over to you. Vote below and please leave some opinions as well so I can head into this final pick feeling strong about my final answers.

Best Director
Who will win the Best Director Oscar?
Eastwood
Scorsese
Hackford
Leigh
Payne

Labels: