Rear Window Ethics Rear Window Ethics: The Blog Strikes Back (or How I Got So Angry that I Returned to a Once Forgotten Venting Location)

Monday, June 12, 2006

The Blog Strikes Back (or How I Got So Angry that I Returned to a Once Forgotten Venting Location)

Quick back story so I can get to the ranting section of this post:


Apartment leakage happened on a small scale about 8 months ago, landlord was called, no one found the leak.

Freak rain storm last week dumped at least 80 gallons of water through a much larger leak in the same location, destroying most of the wood and staining the ceiling, not to mention soaking roughly 36 square feet of carpet. Landlord was called, no response.


Ranting Section:


For real, what landlord gets a voicemail on Wednesday night with the message:

"Hey, landlord, there's some pretty bad leakage coming in from the ridiculous three-day-long rainstorm and the carpet is getting wet and we're using 6 large Pyrex containers to bail water every 5 minutes to keep it from getting worse," then receives subsequent messages over the next 48 hours with worse and worse news, and doesn't get back to ANYONE!?!?

I ended up talking with him on Saturday and he explained that he wouldn't be able to get his "guys" over to look at it until Monday. Fine, I was lucky enough to stay on an air mattress in my new (and very empty) apartment for free. [Thanks, new (and clearly humane) landlord!]

So the "guys" came today, put some big ass fans and heaters under the carpet to dry up the 6 day-old moisture and mildew, and the apartment smells like absolute shit. (The fans are actually blowing the air toward our as yet unaffected bedrooms.) They looked and looked at the brutally water-damaged ceiling and somehow couldn't find a leak area anywhere... WOW, these guys are clearly pros.

They're coming again tomorrow to "try and get rid of the smell". Great. Except that I just read a bunch of EPA/FEMA websites that explicitly state the following:

  • Any and all wet carpet and rug areas must be dried out within 24-48 hours of the flooding.
  • If you don't do that, mildew inevitably forms on the roots of the carpet, pretty much forever.
  • Mold and mildew are generally terrible for your health. Effects range from simple allergies and headaches to serious respiratory problems and even possible infection.
  • The best you can do once you completely botch the first step (hey, that's us!) is to take a professional HEPA vacuum and suck up all the mold and mildew, then professionally steam clean the carpet with a disinfecting agent and/or a bleach solution.
  • This last solution isn't even guaranteed to fix the problem. (Yay!)
Bear in mind, these are the guys who can't find a leak in the apartment that dumped about 80+ gallons of water in 24 hours. I'm not optimistic. I haven't met them yet, but I'm guessing they're pretty much Bill & Ted meets Mario & Luigi.

I've been too patient about this, and way too understanding so far. I have never asked for anything from the Landlord (except for the dog thing, which we anted up lots of $$$ for) and now I have one simple request:

Dear Landlord,

Please don't try to be cute about this shit and pretend like sending your "guys" over to dry and FebreezeĀ® the carpet is going to make this all better. I don't ask for much, but what I would really love for the remaining 15 days in which I will be eking along in this slowly imploding shit hole that we pay f $1400 a month for is to be able to
FUCKING BREATHE WITHOUT GETTING LIGHT-HEADED AND CONGESTED.


If you or your "guys" try to bullshit your way out of this things are going to get a lot worse here, and I seriously won't stop to think about taking a large utility knife and cutting the whole festering shit-stained section out. And if you even think about charging our security deposit for that, I will seriously punch you in the face before going to the EPA.

Sincerely,

One former sucker

Labels: ,